SA Speeding Fines - Accuracy of Lidar Reading?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Anyone want to give an opinion on the accuracy of Lidar/Laser gun readings when two cars are parallel?
I was booked and the car that was beside me was released. I've pleaded not guilty to the speeding fines and have already appeared in court twice.

I've asked for a "brief of evidence" which I'm quite entitled to, including the calibration certificate of the gun and the officer's qualification certificates to use it. So far, I've had nothing. If I get more of the same, I will assume they have no evidence to tender and ask for a dismissal on my trial date. That second car really makes things look dubious.

Any thoughts?

S

Sophea

Where was the other car in relation to you? Was it in front of you or behind you (from the perspective of the radar gun)? And what direction was it travelling in, same as you or opposite direction?

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Cheers Sophea. The other car was in the lane to my left about a car length ahead. We were lasered on a sweeping bend with the cops hidden behind a traffic light junction box and guardrail ahead. There was no other traffic.
These devices are not accurate at the best of times, but I think I would have a hard time proving myself in court. I have conferred with a consultant and he said they "got two for the price of one". It's a common trick.