QLD Speeding Fines - Dispute Inaccurate Reading?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

faoltaem

26 February 2015
Hi, I'm just after some advice regarding a speeding fine infringement I received yesterday. The infringement alleges that I was travelling at 123kph in a 110kph zone. I recall the day and the incident well, at the time I was in fact speeding but only at 115kph (So 5kph over the limit as opposed to the 13kph they're saying I did. This difference would change the bracket I'm in so a smaller fine and less demerit points, so it means something to me). At this particular time (and in my infringemt photo) there was a car travelling two lanes to the left of me (closer to the camera and going faster than me), my best guess is that this car has affected things. I also stress out when I hit more than 5kph over so on the odd occasion I've actually hit 120 in that zone I've been shocked and braked quite hard to stop speeding, so 123 seems a bit far fetched.

A little background... I've had a speeding infringement in the past (in early 2013 I believe) 67kph (I think that's what it was) in a 50kph zone. Someone was driving at 20kph and pulled over, I was frustrated so I took off. But having said that I took responsibility and paid up immediately. This situation though I feel is different.

As much as I want to take it to court and dispute it I don't want to end up in a worse position than I'm already in and I have no actual evidence that this was the case. Any suggestions for disputing speeding fines?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you do not want any more stress, pay the fine.

If you want to fight it, first step is get a photo.

BTW if you elect to go to court you are unlikely to be worse off other than the time, stress and aggravation of fighting a system that assumes you are already guilty.

You need to decide what works best for you, pay and move on, or fight and make them work for their money.