SA Sold Vehicle Issue

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

YNWA

15 March 2020
Hi,

I bought a 2008 Ford Transit early last year for courier work, after I bought the van I decided not to pursue this line of work and went onto FIFO work. I used the van for personal use until I sold it last December (2019).
The guy who I sold the van to phoned me last Wednesday (15/03/2020) demanding a full refund because he had just ran a check on the vehicle which shows that it's still under finance and the whoever bought the van have defaulted on the repayments. When I bought from the previous owner I stupidly did not run this check before I purchased the van and didn't know of this when I sold it on.
I told him that I would look into this but can't trace the previous owner as I've since changed my mobile sim from Vodafone to Telstra.
I'm horrified to discover that I not only bought and then sold van without checking this.
So my question is where do I stand in this situation?
Am I able to trace the previous owner through the DMV?
Am I about to loose $7000?

I'm really worried how this will pan out and don't have clue what to do.

DavidI

20 November 2018
Hi,

I bought a 2008 Ford Transit early last year for courier work, after I bought the van I decided not to pursue this line of work and went onto FIFO work. I used the van for personal use until I sold it last December (2019).
The guy who I sold the van to phoned me last Wednesday (15/03/2020) demanding a full refund because he had just ran a check on the vehicle which shows that it's still under finance and the whoever bought the van have defaulted on the repayments. When I bought from the previous owner I stupidly did not run this check before I purchased the van and didn't know of this when I sold it on.
I told him that I would look into this but can't trace the previous owner as I've since changed my mobile sim from Vodafone to Telstra.
I'm horrified to discover that I not only bought and then sold van without checking this.
So my question is where do I stand in this situation?
Am I able to trace the previous owner through the DMV?
Am I about to loose $7000?

I'm really worried how this will pan out and don't have clue what to do.

I am not a lawyer and I don't have knowledge about this, the things I would do: go to DMV and ask there about the responsibilities I have and what can be done, secondly I would (which is advisable) to get a consultation from a lawyer, it would be worth investing in this so not to get into problem with people (unless you have a friend or relative whose a lawyer whom can help).