NSW Bought Car with Errors - Australian Consumer Law Concern?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Eman

29 May 2017
I had bought a car from a dealer. The previous owner realised that the bluetooth system was not working with him so he then sold it to a dealer. The dealer did not bother to check the car and had sold it to me. Now I have to pay to fix the bluetooth system.

What is the act that states dealers must tell customers that something is wrong with a vehicle? Australian Consumer Law?

I had also gone to the dealer to fix the issue and they said they are unable and I should go to Toyota. I believe that the dealer knew the issue but did not want to acknowledge it and pretended they were unable to fix it.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Eman,
There are a number of guarantees that cover the purchase of a vehicle from a dealer. That said generally if a dealer sells you a car and it's got an obvious fault you can address the matter. It might not be so easy with bluetooth firstly to prove that the fault was pre-existing and secondly that they should have reasonably know. You can contact NSW fair trading to see if they can provide any guidance, but I would think pursuing this through the courts wouldn't be worth the trouble and money compared to having the Bluetooth repaired yourself.