WA Social worker letter of support

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mathewb

26 August 2020
Hi, I am currently in a custody dispute in Sweden. I have recently relocated from Perth to Sweden.

In Perth I went to couples counselling (we were referred by our GP after a joint doctors appointment) together with my, at the time partner. I only went one time as, I believed my ex partner was not truthful during our session. She however continued alone 5 more sessions. We have now chosen to separate.

Today I received a letter from my lawyer in Sweden showing a letter of support for Cecilia from "Our counsellor" who resides in Perth. I believe it breaches my confidentiality as it mentions what discussed during our session. The letter also going on to say I have been emotionally abusing her(in the round about kind of way)
My ex is using this letter to get an upper hand in our custody case!
This letter also makes out that i came along to my ex'es session and not ours???

I also believe it to be un-ethical for a therapist to comment and a shows one-sided story, it does not give me a chance to respond and is deformation of my character.

Do have any legal grounds? how much would such a law suit cost and what would be my chances of winning?

sammy01

27 September 2015
don't waste your time. Focus your energies on the child custody case under Sweeden's family law system.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I believe it breaches my confidentiality as it mentions what discussed during our session
First of all I agree with @sammy01 .... Forget about any lawsuit for defamation ... It would just be a waste of valuable time & resources

However, In Australia, where the sessions took place, communications (with some exceptions around mandatory reporting) between practitioners & clients is supposes to remain confidential .... Depending on the family law system in Sweden you *may* be able to have whatever it is that has be provided as 'evidence'? be disregarded..

FIRST, though, the practitioner you saw MUST fall under the definition of an accredited mediator for the purposes of the act here .... See link below

FAMILY LAW ACT 1975 - SECT 10G Definition of family dispute resolution practitioner

Does the practitioner meet the definition above? as opposed to a 'couples counsellor'

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It is not defamation is the Counsellor only sent it to your legal representative.

My ex is using this letter to get an upper hand in our custody case!

Have the letter thrown out and check the qualifications of the person who wrote. Suggest they withdraw the letter else you will refer it to their professional association.