QLD Shoplifting - Set Court Date with Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lol22lol

28 December 2015
I was given a notice to appear for shoplifting (over $150). The date for me to appear by the Police was Australia Day.

I got a call from my roommate to say that some police officers showed up at my unit, looking for me. I wasn't home so they left (I was asleep at a friend's house). They couldn't call me, because they have an old number.

I called the station when I woke up, spoke to the original officer who arrested me and he explained that the date given to me was Australia Day. He told me he would ring me back the next day as he was just about to go home and I gave him my number.

He hasn't called back. Everything inside of me wants to just leave it, and not try and expedite this at all, but I feel like morally I should get in contact with him again. It just seems so silly and so unnatural to call with the intentions of giving myself a court date.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Ring the court on Monday.
Not the police, the court.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Avoiding the call to get a court date isn't going to make the court date disappear. It just means you'll be absent on the day of your hearing, possibly placing you in contempt for court for not answering to a summons.