WA Shoplifting court date

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Clare.R

28 April 2018
I shoplifted a bottle of vodka not long ago and police showed up at my place after i.d'ing me through CCTV and coming to my house. I made full admissions as I was on the CCTV and the cop knows me so I knew I couldn't get out of it, I have been charged with shoplifting and have a court date.

1. They came to my house and basically just asked if I did it/why I did it, I was not informed that what I said would be used in court or that I was being "intervied" I was basically just joking around and being a smartass because I assumed I would just get a infringement. They ended up quoting what I said and putting it in the statement of material facts and now I feel like its going to paint me in a bad light at court. Is it legal that they didn't tell me I was being interviewed??

2. I've done this multiple times but have only received infringement notices will the prosecution make the court aware of these previous offences or not, also what affect will it have on the fine I receive.

3. Do I have to show up for court for something as basic as shoplifting? I'm assuming the court won't waste police resources on issuing a warrant for something so minor but my court papers say I must appear?..

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Based on what you wrote, I think you will end up with a criminal record. As this is not your first offense, you are looking at a criminal record. The court will hear all your related offenses. Infringements were a warning to you and you did not listen.

Being a "smart ass" with the police is not "smart" at all, it is only just being an "ass"!

Depending on your profession, this will affect your employment. Shoplifting is not just "basic".

The police already came to your house to inform you and interview you, what do you think will happen if you don't show up at court?

Show some respect otherwise you will pay a hefty price!

Get yourself a lawyer, hopefully the lawyer maybe assist you to get section 10.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
1. Yes, it is legal that the police took statements from you and included it in evidence, even though they didn't formally call your interview an interview (but good try).

2. The prosecution will most definitely make the Court aware of your part actions. You might just get a fine, but shoplifting is an indictable offence, so you might just get prison time, too.

3. You don't have to show up for Court if you don't want to, but a warrant could be issued for your arrest if you don't.