VIC Caught shoplifting for the 3rd time

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DeeBee

27 January 2021
Hi all... I have been caught shoplifting for the 3rd time, first I went with a warning, second I went through diversion and was not charged, now I have been caught for the third time, it was at Coles for $60 worth of food. and the loss prevention officer had called up the police to do a name check on me. They told me they had informed the cops but the cops were too busy to come, so they will let me go, and said the cops will call me at a later time so that I will do some "paperwork". I'm scared that I will be charged for this and then get a criminal record...
It is very stupid of me, to do this again...
I just wanted to know if they will actually call me ?? Is it possible that they can delay this and call me at a later time to arrest/charge me??
I also don't understand why some people just get "fines" for shoplifting , where as I have been charged and had to go through diversion/court in previous time.
Please advise... thank you..
Can you elaborate what happen the times you got caught? Like what happen what did they say?
what form of identification did you give?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
The police can request that you attend at the police station to be interviewed or come and arrest you. Charges then follow after that.