NSW Shoplifting at CostCo - Will I Hear from Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Exhausted&terrified

17 May 2023
Hi,

I was caught shoplifting at Costco in NSW yesterday to my absolute shame. First time ever due to some circumstances in personal life...and I reacted stupidly. Was taken aside by LP who took back the things, was made to sign a trespass form and told not welcome there again which I absolutely agree with. Checked with police that I didn't have a record which I don't...told me it was my lucky day and he was feeling nice. Didn't involve police further, so no fine. He did take a photo of me however and my licence details.

My question is I've been worrying myself sick about...will I hear from the police? I've been reading about civil demands, will I see one of these? I'm a 28 year old mum of two, goods amount was $200 which he said would be put back on shelf.
Did you end up hearing from the police? Did they come to your house?

Exhausted&terrified

17 May 2023
Hi,

I was caught shoplifting at Costco in NSW yesterday to my absolute shame. First time ever due to some circumstances in personal life...and I reacted stupidly. Was taken aside by LP who took back the things, was made to sign a trespass form and told not welcome there again which I absolutely agree with. Checked with police that I didn't have a record which I don't...told me it was my lucky day and he was feeling nice. Didn't involve police further, so no fine. He did take a photo of me however and my licence details.

My question is I've been worrying myself sick about...will I hear from the police? I've been reading about civil demands, will I see one of these? I'm a 28 year old mum of two, goods amount was $200 which he said would be put back on shelf.
Did anything come out of it? Did the police come to your house?