NSW Caught Shoplifting in Target - When will I Receive Notice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anisha

21 September 2018
Hi,

I was caught by police for shoplifting in Target yesterday. I pleaded guilty. They told me you have to go to court in 6 weeks. They didn't give me notice at that time. When will they give me notice?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
You will receive it in the mail most properly or you will get a phone call to pick it up, the police will take the info from you and then process it, i mean doing the required paper work.

Reactions: Anisha

Anisha

21 September 2018
If I have to go to court , will it effect on my health care service as this is first offence. And what would happen in application of pr.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
If I have to go to court , will it effect on my health care service as this is first offence. And what would happen in application of pr.
If this is the first time, the sentence will be lighter but depending on your character, get a lawyer to assist you.

Anisha

21 September 2018
Will it be shown I'm criminal history check. In my guess if shown I would not get job. What should I do to not record in the criminal history check.
Thank you for your help.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Will it be shown I'm criminal history check. In my guess if shown I would not get job. What should I do to not record in the criminal history check.
Thank you for your help.
It is hard to say without any input and I'm not a lawyer, but if you get a lawyer and based on your character and history, you may get section 10 and that may not show in your criminal check, but if you have priors and were in trouble before, then you may not get section 10 and it will show in your criminal check, the court will look at your character not just if have or have not shoplifted before, there are many factors.
The main point is to get assistance from a lawyer and try not to shoplift. It is not worth the hassle.

Anisha

21 September 2018
Thank you very much for your assistance. I don't have any record before not in here but also in my home country. I don't drive and I even haven't paid fine in train.

Anisha

21 September 2018
Thank you very much. What should I prove in section 10 to be not convicted and not to have criminal record as this is my first offence and I haven't paid fine before for any reason in Australia and in my home country in my 28 years life. I know what I am feeling now about the wrong deed and I want to be better person than before.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Thank you very much. What should I prove in section 10 to be not convicted and not to have criminal record as this is my first offence and I haven't paid fine before for any reason in Australia and in my home country in my 28 years life. I know what I am feeling now about the wrong deed and I want to be better person than before.
In general; to obtain section 10, you need to be of good character, never had any problems with the law and you can support this by getting references from people who know you and also you need to give a reason for the shoplifting, the magistrate will consider to those factors and decide whether a section 10 is valid. The only person who can help you now to see if you can get section 10 or not is a lawyer. You need to get a lawyer. That is the key thing you need to do now.
Good luck.