QLD No charge for shoplifting

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anon2021

10 March 2021
Hi I was caught shoplifting in a department store for an amount under $150 and security stopped me after I had left.
I returned to the store and was completely embarrassed and felt very ashamed of myself.
Undercover security made me sign a trespass notice and banned me from the store for 12 months as well as made me sign a voluntary statement about taking the goods.
Police were called but no charges were filed.
However they have my personal details including address and I’m extremely worried they will later send me a court notice or police will decide to charge me later.
They let me pay for the goods and said I was lucky but I am sick with worry.
If anyone with legal knowledge can help I’d appreciate it.

MrE

14 March 2021
Don't worry. Stores, especially large stores, specifically avoid going to Court because it takes their staff away from earning money for too long. If the value is under $150, the potential charge is different and so minor that often the police won't even bother. The store isn't making a complaint, because they have what they want (money back, you banned, and so on), and the police will not act without a complaint. Even if the store made a complaint later for some reason, the police would likely not bother charging, because the store has the money back, and they will have a problem on penalty because of the delay, restitution and banning order. Stay away from the store for the full twelve months and you will be fine.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If you got to pay for the goods
then don't worry, it's over.