NSW Shoplifting at coles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

akh

18 June 2023
Hello, yesterday I was caught shoplifting at coles, ( worth $160). I did pay for my other items. They took me to the front desk and asked why I didn't pay for it. I said I was in tough place and that I'm struggling this week due to my husband leaving me and my 2 children, leaving me in such debt. She asked me to pay for the groceries which I did, she took a picture of my licence and that the police will be coming to my place. I begged her not to tell the cops and that it was my first time and I don't know what I was thinking. She said she will think about if she will tell the police or not. What does that mean?
I'm so stressed out. I have never done anything like this, I was just no in thr right head space and just need things for my kids

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Dear akh,

You have no control over what the Coles people may or may not do (although if they intend to do anything they would have done it on the day). Deal with it if police is involved, learn a lesson and don’t do it again.

Frequently, we observe people who commit shoplifting to have other problems especially mental. No judgment here, and I do hope you will sort yourself. In the meantime, maybe give this free service a call to chat (counsellor service). Beyond Blue | 24/7 Support for Anxiety, Depression and Suicide Prevention

Take care.

-Nighthelyn

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney