QLD Shared parental responsibility-providing care for children whilst parents overseas

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Georgia11376

5 May 2018
Hi,
I haven't used a forum before but I am stressing so if anyone has experienced similar, can they share their thoughts?

We have court orders for two children in primary school that say shared parental responsibility, children live with mother and spend half holidays with father. We live in different states. I am originally from the US and have booked to fly for a three week holiday in June. While the children are with me they live with my partner and his parents have been staying with us for about 7 months. They know the children well and have cared for them for small periods when I have been away for work, or when we went to a funeral in another city. I am not taking the children with me because it is during term time,it's too expensive and I think it's important they stay in school-I haven't been back for 10 years and really want to see my grandfather once more
My issue is that as its during term time I would like the children to stay with my partners parents so they can go to school, continue with soccer and music lessons and stay in their home and as it doesn't impede on dads time, feel this should be fine.
Dad says he doesn't know the people who would be looking after the children (even though I know them very well) and so he wants to have the children with him, for the duration- despite them missing three weeks of school. He also would like to tag his holiday time onto the end-making it almost 5 weeks. Any thoughts? I assumed parental responsibility meant it is the parent who has the children's decision whether someone is fit to care for the children, but he is focussing on the fact I am overseas

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Who looks after the kids during your time is your responsibility. It’s a day-to-day decision, not a long-term decision, so it doesn’t require dad’s agreeement.

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
You can leave the kids with whoever you like during your time. Your ex has not got a leg to stand making such demands for a 3 week holiday