Other parent unable to spend time with children due to illness

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Not excessive for a primary aged child if the family or friend is person the children know well and a person their father trusts.
So let me get this right. You think that a parent who is sick should let a child stay with their friends rather than the other parent if they are too sick to look after the child, because on a bit of paper it says 5 days. For real this is your actual opinion??? Please enlighten me as to the benefit of this for the child who already has 2 homes.

ALL this does is satisfy the ego of the parent who is sick to score a few points in a game. It is not the right thing to do. I would not dream of doing this in a million years. And i think my ex is a fruitloop

Sheesh....

MartyK

4 June 2016
So let me get this right. You think that a parent who is sick should let a child stay with their friends rather than the other parent if they are too sick to look after the child, because on a bit of paper it says 5 days. For real this is your actual opinion??? Please enlighten me as to the benefit of this for the child who already has 2 homes

Sheesh....

Bit of paper? I would love to hear you call it that in front of a judge.

Do you take some kind of issue with me agreeing with a post other than yours? Actually don’t answer that, as like me, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Calm down folks...
More detail is required here... So for example, I told my ex that I would not be available for a weekend... See I stupidly agreed to change weekend rotations at her request. I then realised that it conflicted with something else I'd arranged in a few weeks time.. So I tell he ex I can't have the kids. She reliably informs me that in the event that I fail to follow the orders they become obsolete and she wont be following them anymore. Now clearly she is a nutter. I chose to miss the event rather than have to deal with that sort of crazy...

OP: Why not offer to keep the kids while dad is crook. Maybe even offer some occasional additional time as make up time....

In my opinion - what dad does with the kids during his time is his business. Disruptive? sure... But I'm assuming we're only talking about a week or two - true? So what would dad do if (for example) mum had skipped off to Mexico. Never to return... And dad had a medical situation that needed dealing with? He'd ask friends and extended family...

Mum - you could keep the kids for a week or two, but using the medical situation as an excuse to withold the kids long term... Don't do it.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Who looks after the children during their time with each parent is a day-to-day decision of the parent with whom the child is spending time.

If you withheld because you wanted that to be your decision and not dad’s, you’d be in contravention of the orders.

You have parenting orders, so if you don’t follow them, you’re in contravention of them.

But maybe there’s a more amicable way to deal with this without just taking the hostile approach of contravening the Court orders to impose your will over dad’s. Why don’t you offer to look after the kids while Dad is recovering? Sweeten the deal by offering to take the kids to the hospital every two nights or so?

Reactions: SamanthaJay

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
I agree with the above and to be honest I do not see anywhere where the original poster is saying they are going to withhold in fact they are coming across as someone who wants to try to work this out

I am still of the Opinion that if one parent is sick the best place for the child to be is with the other parent as long as the child gets to see the sick parent

I really don't understand this you can leave the child at friends simply because it's your time thing it's not what is best for the child at all

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You can be of whatever opinion you want, but she is still bound by parenting orders.

Reactions: MartyK

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
You can be of whatever opinion you want, but she is still bound by parenting orders
I am actually agreeing with you and you are still finding ways to have a go at me have you found a new hobby ?

Reactions: nat 2015

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Are you really making this thread about you?

MartyK

4 June 2016
AllForHer has provided a response consistent with the legislation.

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I, but the reality is, any opinion that could lead the original poster to break the law (breach the court orders) should be viewed with caution.

Resorting to personal attacks on members is uncalled for and unhelpful. There are a number of solicitors on this site. I would imagine that most of them spend a lot of time behind a computer.