QLD Sexual Assault by Father - Statements from Friends before Going to Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

missm

29 September 2015
I'm 26 and as a child I was sexually abused by my father. I am thinking about reporting it to the police but I'm worried about the process, etc. I'm worried my memories of it aren't strong enough and I won't be believed. I grew up in a small town and I'm thinking of asking my old school friends and their parents if they ever noticed anything odd with me or my family. I'm just worried this may somehow go against me in the long run (in a legal sense).

Is it a bad idea to ask them? If it's recommended that I do ask,how do I go about it, as in how could I word it? I have a lot of them on Facebook but that's it. I live in Queensland but the abuse happened in South Australia and that is where my father still lives.

Thanks

S

Sophea

I don't see anything wrong with doing a bit of investigating for your own curiosity or to satisfy your need to piece things together. I don't see what harm this would do legally. Generally once proceedings are underway you should leave all investigations to your legal counsel or the prosecutors so that they can control how the information is received and and disclosed to other people. I guess the best thing to do is just be honest with your friends, there's no specific way of asking that would be better than another. I'm sure they would understand.