NSW False Statements Due to Misinterpretation - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nana01

25 December 2016
Your husband may have a good defence about the police not correctly recording your interview or you not correctly explaining the events.

You should get a lawyer to help, the prosecutor is not the person to be talking to. Sexual assault is a serious offence and needs to be taken seriously. Hopefully your husband has not said anything too incriminating. He should not be talking to the police at all without talking to a lawyer first.
Rod, why do you say the prosecutor is not the person to be talking to? Do you mean the prosecutor can not drop my husband's charge, even if I told him that I was lying and made a false report?

He doesn't have any evidence. Only my first statement and my husband's statement.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Because a lawyer should be talking to the prosecutor when the prosecutor is appointed. I'm not sure when one will be appointed for these kinds of offences. For minor offences they can be appointed on the day.

A lawyer will know the points of law to argue with a prosecutor and has a better chance of having charges dropped. You should be talking to a lawyer.

If you talk with a prosecutor you may only strengthen their case and give them a heads up on what your defence is going to be. Not a wise decision for serious offences.