VIC Separation - Failure to Return Belongings

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bruyere

15 May 2015
I left my fiancé in January this year. We were living in Victoria. I have since returned to WA after our separation. When I made the decision to leave I locked myself out of the house and he refused to let me in to collect my belongings. He packed them up and a friend collected them for me. I recently returned to collect my things from my friend and discovered some things missing. My birth certificate, old marriage certificate, all paperwork and documents, except my passport were missing along with photos and other items. When I tried to go and see him to ask for them he refused to let me in the house.

The police said they couldn't do anything and to seek legal help.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
How have you progressed with this?

You could send a formal letter of demand for your property, which specifies when the property must be returned - Letter of Demand Template for Australia - Legal Documents - LawAnswers.com.au

Alternatively, you could speak with Relationships Australia and try to employ some family dispute resolution measures.

A non-legal measure might be to constantly keep requesting those specific items (calls, email, texts) until the message gets across. You could offer for a friend to pick up for you or to pay for the postage costs for sending those items to you.

Bruyere

15 May 2015
How have you progressed with this?

You could send a formal letter of demand for your property, which specifies when the property must be returned - Letter of Demand Template for Australia - Legal Documents - LawAnswers.com.au

Alternatively, you could speak with Relationships Australia and try to employ some family dispute resolution measures.

A non-legal measure might be to constantly keep requesting those specific items (calls, email, texts) until the message gets across. You could offer for a friend to pick up for you or to pay for the postage costs for sending those items to you.
I have been to a solicitor and he sent a letter of demand. My ex claims some of the items that were in a picnic basket the were "accidentally" thrown out, because he didn't realise there was anything in it (couldn't feel the weight apparently). That doesn't explain all the photo albums and other items including my birth certificate, old marriage certificate etc that were in one of the suitcases he packed other things into. He claims he knows nothing about these other items. He has requested an intervention order because I kept asking him to return the property. So I cannot contact him anymore.