WA Selling House - Sign Sales Agreement with Married or Maiden Name?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


14 February 2015
Hi, I am selling my house and need to sign sales agreement and need these verified by a Justice of the Peace (JP) or the like.
Problem is I bought this house under my married name, and now I am divorced and have gone back to my maiden name so my identification all shows my maiden name.
Do I sign the papers under the maiden name or if I use my married name how do I show the JP any true identification??

Paul Cott

Well-Known Member
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Jingles I suggest you sign as you are now, as your maiden name and perhaps insert under where you sign 'formerly' and put your married name there.

That should work and you won't have to worry about producing ID showing your married name. Hope that is helpful to you. Good luck.
  • Like
Reactions: Jingles65