NSW Selling Property - What Should I Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ferri

2 December 2014
Hi.
I live in Sydney. I wish to ask legal question regarding property I have bought.
The property is in under my name primarily and my brother in law.
The monthly mortgage repayment is under my account. I wish to sell the house very soon and unfortunately my brother in law is moving out of Australia for good. He has given me an authority to sell it in future and the sale funds can go under my account 100% since he has moved. The profit will be dealt with personally between me and him.

What legal documents will I need to sell the house? Is there a way I can remove his name and I will be in charge of selling the property? Is it permissible to sell the house without his presence?

Can anyone please provide me with the legal answer to this?

Thank you

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
A general power of attorney may be able to do the job, limit the power of attorney though to only the selling of the house at 'x address'.

Ferri

2 December 2014
Hi rod,

Thanks for your reply. I wish I can ask the question to the attorney but it's an consultation of $440. Question is only yes or no, that I need.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
what legal documents will I need if to sell the house? is there a way I can remove his name and I will be in charge of selling the property? Is it permissible to sell the house without his present?

You asked 3 questions. I answered the first question in relation to your brother-in-law being unavailable to sign legal documents.

The second question about removing his name, is I assume about removing his name from the title. Ans: Not easily and probably not without paying unnecessary costs. See answer to first question.

Answer to 3rd question: Yes

Ferri

2 December 2014
Hi rod,

My apologies. My accurate question is, if he is moved overseas. He is able to sign any documents related
To him. The issue he is not able to be here (Australia) at present.
Is it permissible if he sign the documents by sending the documents overseas for him to sign and send it back here make the selling process valid?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Is it permissible if he sign the documents by sending the documents overseas for him to sign and send it back here make the selling process valid?
Yes. Location of the individual is not important for this kind of transaction. It can be messy, but is doable.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
NP, btw, mention to your agent that the other owner will be overseas and may be hard to reach and may take time to get documents back from him. They may also be able to give you advice on the best way to make it easier.