Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

ACT Seller Making Me Fix Car Damage - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by aziewah, 24 February 2016.

Tags:
  1. aziewah

aziewah Member

A few weeks ago, I went to go test drive a car that I was looking at buying (they were asking for $3000 for it). On initial inspection, I noticed it wasn't in as good a condition as they stated in the ad (it had a few dents and scratches that had been rusted over).

The car was parked in a rather awkward position up a curb and I was lead to believe that I would actually be the first person ever to move it from that exact position down a curb, as the way they got it there was now blocked. I told the owner of the car that I wasn't comfortable moving the car from where it was parked, but the owner told me that I should be fine.

When I moved the car it got scratched on some rocks that I wasn't aware of. The owner decided that I had to either buy the car or fix it, I decided not to buy the car as it appeared to have an oil leak that would be expensive to fix and they also refused to get a roadworthy, which is only 60 dollars which they claimed they couldn't afford to get. They decided today that it will cost me $800 dollars to fix their car which I believe is extremely over priced for the amount of damage done. They also told me that if I wasn't happy with the price, they would get a solicitor to write it up.

I personally think I am not fully to blame because I said to the owner I wasn't comfortable with moving the car, but also, I believe they are trying to fix all the other bumps and scratches on the car and make me pay for it. I am not really sure what I should do in this situation or what the best option is as there is no way I could afford the 800 dollars.

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi, technically since you scratched it, you are liable for the damage. However $800 does sound excessive, and if they can't afford a roadworthy they can't afford a solicitor. I would wait and see if they actually act on their threats.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...