NSW Self-Representing in Family Court - Help on Some Details?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Trin3of7

6 November 2015
I am representing myself in Family court and I am finding it hard to understand all the jargon, and what I really need to do. I am due to have a compliance check on the 22nd of Feb and the actual trial is on the 29th. I am worried I won't have everything in on time and what is asked of me.

I have just finished the affidavit and sent it in but I was wondering about:

1) the proposed minutes of orders, setting out with precision the final orders sought,

2) the Affidavit of evidence in chief of all permitted witnesses including the applicant upon noting the affidavits relied upon, for the previous hearing can't be relied upon as evidence, in Chief, save and except reports of experts,

3) a list of all exhibits upon which he will seek to sell (would this be text message and emails I have received from the other party?)

Also, I must file a case outline containing a concise set or orders, (I think I got this one done) but I am not too sure about the dot point summary of the argument in relation to the issues in dispute in no more than an A4 page.

Thank you for your help.

Lance

31 October 2015
I only just saw your question. How did you go self representing? I would be really interested to hear how you went.

Reactions: RosieR

Alan Blumberg

Lawyer
22 October 2016
New South Wales
You are attempting a very difficult task. Even experienced lawyers find the process very challenging often.

We operate a guidance service for people trying to self represent. Let me know if you want more details please.

Frustrated16

10 November 2016
You are attempting a very difficult task. Even experienced lawyers find the process very challenging often.

We operate a guidance service for people trying to self represent. Let me know if you want more details please.

My partner is also self-representing and has been since the last 2 court dates. He is also self-representing in DV court. He is doing it because we don't have the funds available to hire a lawyer, he is doing well and I am so proud of him but he is nervous as anyone would be but more so because of allegations made that are false and misleading,

I do the paperwork with him but it is becoming a stressful event because his ex is doing this all out of jealousy and spite which although we have voicecalls, email and messages to show the disgusting way she treats him we are still scared it's not enough. I would be forever grateful if we could pinch some tips off you

SelfRepHelp

16 March 2017
Hi - did you end up getting advice? I have the exact same questions regarding things I need to complete...

RosieR

12 July 2015
I'm self-representing also and would love to know how you're getting along with it all ...

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi SelfRepHelp and RosieR,

If you start a new thread with specific questions you are more likely to get a direct answer. Sometimes questions within threads can get a bit lost.