VIC school zone speed camera during covid

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

redman2858

24 August 2020
Hi Guys I have received a speeding fine in a speed camera controlled school zone, the speed is reduced to 40 from 70 during set times 8-9:30am 2:30-4pm clearly stated on signage as "school days". The date of the infringement was 18th may but at the time all Victorian schools where closed due to covid, they reopened on the 26th may. I appealed the fine based on the fact that the camera should have been set to weekend or school holiday mode. The appeal was rejected with no reference at all to the circumstance, just a generic letter stating a warning would be not be appropriate. So my main question here is should i take this to court or cop it sweet, a concern is how many others will get this, in my opinion illegal fine. I also sent through the image taken from camera clearly showing no crossing control people working that day, it is a multi lane crossing so there would normally be quit a few.
thanks Mark

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you have the time, elect to take the matter to court. Be aware you have time limits in which to do so.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I think you'll find the school was open. There were kids of essential workers at school? so there were kids around? I'm also guessing there were flashing signs saying 40km zone?

Years back I was a passenger. The driver got done in a school zone during the holidays. The cop wasn't interested in the argument that it was holidays. The law states school zone Monday - Friday 8am-10am or what ever... So I dont reckon you've got a defence via Covid.