VIC Disputing a Speeding Traffic Infringement Notice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jermy

30 March 2015
Hello,

I travel this same road each day with cruise control set to 59 kph. It is a 60kph zone.

I received a fine for doing 68kph with an alleged speed of 66kph. I know I did not do this as I never speed. I travel each day on this road and am aware of the fixed camera. The photo sent with the traffic infringement notice states me speeding but the photo depicts me stopped at the red light of the intersection.

The intersection is a Station and Thames St, Box Hill. I was photographed from the Southern camera facing North - I was travelling North. I believe it to be impossible to be doing such a speed they alleged and being stopped at the lights.

The camera in question is seen very close to intersection.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm new here so thanks in advance.

With speed cameras, I think it is very hard to dispute unless you have something showing proof, such as your registered GPS and get the history. I am thinking that you use the cruise control, what I can suggest (long shot) call the car company and ask if you can download the history of the cruise control.

I am not sure if there is such a thing, but this came to my mind, as most vehicle now have all the new tech...

Other idea, also long shot, do you use dash camera? if so and you have saved the video, you can calculate your speed and use that to prove you were not speeding.....

Let us know...

Hope this helps.

Jermy

30 March 2015
Hello,

I travel this same road each day with cruise control set to 59 kph. It is a 60kph zone.

I received a fine for doing 68kph with an alleged speed of 66kph. I know I did not do this as I never speed. I travel each day on this road and am aware of the fixed camera. The photo sent with the traffic infringement notice states me speeding but the photo depicts me stopped at the red light of the intersection.

The intersection is a Station and Thames St, Box Hill. I was photographed from the Southern camera facing North - I was travelling North. I believe it to be impossible to be doing such a speed they alleged and being stopped at the lights.

The camera in question is seen very close to intersection.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm new here so thanks in advance.
With speed cameras, I think it is very hard to dispute unless you have something showing proof, such as your registered GPS and get the history. I am thinking that you use the cruise control, what I can suggest (long shot) call the car company and ask if you can download the history of the cruise control. I am not sure if there is such a thing, but this came to my mind, as most vehicle now have all the new tech.....

Other idea, also long shot, do you use dash camera? if so and you have saved the video, you can calculate your speed and use that to prove you were not speeding.....

let us know....
hope this helps.

I remembered, traffic cameras take video in addition to the pictures, so I don't know if you can ask for the video and then you can use that to calculate your speed. I am sure there is a video as I did dispute a red light infringement some time time ago and got off, as I stopped before the 3rd line on the road after the traffic lights and it was raining. I saw the video.....

Good luck...

Weigela

11 February 2017
Hi Jermy,

I rang car manufacturer and was told they don't have records for cruise control. Called Civic compliance in Victoria and was advised that no videos are taken. Only images.

I have a dash cam but it loops over the recordings and I didn't save them as I did not see any event that was needed. My dash cam doesn't show the speed I am doing.

Thanks for your help.