VIC Disputing a Speeding Traffic Infringement Notice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Weigela

11 February 2017
Hello,

I travel this same road each day with cruise control set to 59 kph. It is a 60kph zone.

I received a fine for doing 68kph with an alleged speed of 66kph. I know I did not do this as I never speed. I travel each day on this road and am aware of the fixed camera. The photo sent with the traffic infringement notice states me speeding but the photo depicts me stopped at the red light of the intersection.

The intersection is a Station and Thames St, Box Hill. I was photographed from the Southern camera facing North - I was travelling North. I believe it to be impossible to be doing such a speed they alleged and being stopped at the lights.

The camera in question is seen very close to intersection.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm new here so thanks in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Ask for an internal review in the first instance, and if that doesn't work take it to court and see if the magistrate agrees with you.

Weigela

11 February 2017
I'm of the belief that you have to admit fault if you ask for an internal review. I'm sure that's a prerequisite of applying, and I'm certain I'm not guilty.

Just wish to know if anyone has been fined for speeding when the vehicle is stopped at a red light? Seems very strange!

Thanks for your reply and help. :)

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
It sounds ridiculous and the matter should be quashed. Any reasonable magistrate or police officer would see it's not possible to book someone for speeding when they are stationary.

No, you don't have to admit fault. In fact, where traffic fines are concerned, never admit anything. It will go against you.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014

Weigela

11 February 2017
Thanks kindly.

I was getting confused with a request for an official warning where the internal process for review also has to be followed before an official warning and they consider admission of the offence to be a criteria in deciding the outcome. I'm confused now!

I'll look into it further and thanks for your help.

Weigela

11 February 2017
That's a relief. I tried to upload the image of my car allegedly speeding - it shows I'm stopped at the intersection facing a red light!

Thanks for your help.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
I would like to see the images before advising. The Traffic Camera Office review photos to ensure accuracy. Is your speedo requiring calibration?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
The Traffic Camera Office review photos to ensure accuracy

*Cynicism kicked in - The Traffic Camera Office review photos to ensure they don't waste money. Civic Compliance, a private company, I believe gets paid by the number of infringements they handle.

Weigela

11 February 2017
I would like to see the images before advising. The Traffic Camera Office review photos to ensure accuracy. Is your speedo requiring calibration?

Hello,

No my car is relatively new and my residential street has those speed checkers to see what your speed is. It is accurate.

I'm not sure how to upload the photos onto this site. I'd be happy to do that. I'm going to calculated the distance and alleged speed to prove I wasn't speeding. I was the first car stopped at the intersection.