NSW Reverse parking out of angle park

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

y3llowrose

6 February 2019
Last night, my boyfriend was driving my car and were reversing out of an angle park about 10 metres off from a curved road. We were a good 7/10 reversed out when a car hit us from behind - he'd just turned the curved road and was heading straight.

The collision is my car's left back light and bumper, his was on the corner of his front bumper. We didn't see him even though we were reversing out slowly (FYI my car has back censor and it didn't go off) - he didn't want to wait the 5 seconds and tried to drive past us thinking we would hit the brake.

My pickle is that it turns out my insurance provider won't cover him - we live together and whilst I had adjusted my policy to cover drivers 21 and over, I hadn't specified him as a driver under the same household.

How do I go about proving he was at fault? - I've always held the view that if you're not insured, you're screwed especially when it comes to cases like this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Zerojay

12 March 2017
Hi y3llowrose,

Could you please advise which company you are insured with so I can look at the wording and understand why your boyfriend is not covered? Is he over 21? Also could you please clarify whom you are trying to prove is at fault - your boyfriend or the other driver?