VIC Reverse parallel parking

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Claudiu

16 March 2016
Hi,

I had a small accident while reverse parallel parking, that happen as follow:
- I stopped the car after the parking bay
- I checking the road and it was empty
- I started to revers
- half way through I heard a horn and in that moment crashed into a car that was behind me
- my back right hand side bumper is being scratch and the other car has been scratch on it's front left hand side bumper

The only way the other car could ended up behind me is from a nearby street just one parking place behind me, as the main road had been closed and that was the detour route.

I know that they did a claim at their insurance and I suspect that they had me as responsible. Having in mind this scenario, who is at fault and how should I best react.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Check the road rules in your state, but generally:

- when reversing you must give way to all oncoming traffic; and

- when entering and leaving the road ( eg parking) you must give way to all oncoming traffic.

However, the other person may wear some of the liability if they put themselves in a position to be contacted where it is obvious what you were doing. That means you indicated and gave sufficient notice of intention as to what you were doing before turning in.

It is hard to see how you didn't see them if you were paying due care and attention while reversing.