LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

WA Retirement Villages Deceased Estate - Contesting a Will?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by RonnieB, 22 May 2015.

1. RonnieB

RonnieB Member

I was recently left a property in a will. The wording being "all interests in my home". The home is in a retirement village, but the land is owned by the deceased, which apparently is unusual.

My question is: can anyone contesting a will make a claim for the land, as it was not specifically mentioned?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi RonnieB,

Do you mean that the will doesn't specifically mention the property that the home is on? Generally items that are not specifically noted in a will simply form part of a residuary pool which is divided in accordance with the will after everything else is distributed, however I assume "all interests in my home" would also refer to the land, because its not as though you can have rights to a house without having rights to the property its on.

Perhaps a property/ wills & estates expert can comment further?

3. winston wolf

winston wolf Well-Known Member

I agree with Sophea that home would refer to the land and any building on it if they were owned by the deceased.

As to a contest (normally a family provision claim) any asset owned by the deceased is up for redistribution not just what is named in the will.

Sophea likes this.
  4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

Do a title search before you do anything else.

Sophea likes this.