QLD Restraining Order - Will I Have a Criminal Record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Red Sox

19 December 2016
Had a relationship end badly.

They asked for no contact which I slipped up on a couple of times but they were non-threatening. They asked me to email anything I had to say, which I did.

I went to their house to drop off some things and a note and I saw them outside, to which they greeted me with a hug and we talked. I sent a few more emails to try and work things out. I saw them again in a public place and we talked, and they are now accusing me of physically restraining them which I did not do. I didn't even touch them.

They said to email them again anything I had to say, which I did. It was over a few emails. They responded saying "I asked you not to contact me" when they said in person that I could email.

Now they are saying they are taking out a restraining order. The proof they have is the emails and the note.

What does this mean for me, will police show up and will I have a criminal record?

I have no money to pay for any help.

Reactions: Timnuts

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
They asked for no contact which I slipped up on a couple of times but they were non-threatening. They asked me to email anything I had to say, which I did.
Just to confirm - In the beginning (as per above) was there an order in place?

Orders are civil - breaching them becomes a criminal matter.

If you are served with an order in which terms are that you are not to contact the person named, do not under any circumstances make contact with them, even if the person makes contact with you or asks you to call them back.

Red Sox

19 December 2016
Just to confirm - In the beginning (as per above) was there an order in place?

Orders are civil - breaching them becomes a criminal matter.

If you are served with an order in which terms are that you are not to contact the person named, do not under any circumstances make contact with them, even if the person makes contact with you or asks you to call them back.

Thanks

There was no order in place, no.

So I wouldn't have a criminal record unless it was broken?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016