QLD Requesting child's medical records

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Poidah

9 November 2017
Qld
Not really a family law case but keen to get some advice on how to support stepson who is refusing to go to high school.
So partner's son is really struggling with his private school at the moment. We only just discover that son has severe mental health issues which required psychiatric care etc though lawyer letters a couple of weeks ago. So son lives full time with ex-wife and has always had a hostile relationship, so son did not disclose mental health issues despite the weekly stay overs which ended last year. So now there is minimal contact despite phone calls and smses.

The problem is that son is refusing to go back to school. Now that school has re-opened, the lack of attendance is much more obvious and problematic. I am keen to request medical records, so privately funded supports can be organised, but there is concern that the request will go back to ex-wife and son, further damaging the relationship. I am even worried about contacting the records manager to clarify the situation, but now that I am writing this, I can always call using a private number. Ex-wife insists that there is severe mental health risk if he is enrolled into the nearby public school, and argues that she has support from a school counsellor. So another option is to clarify and speak to the school counsellors etc, but also risk making things more hostile.

Love to hear suggestions and ideas from anyone that can help. Much thanks :)

Atticus

6 February 2019
Ex-wife insists that there is severe mental health risk if he is enrolled into the nearby public school, and argues that she has support from a school counsellor. So another option is to clarify and speak to the school counsellors etc, but also risk making things more hostile.
If you acknowledge that there are mental health issues with your son, & I assume you both want the best for him, then that is your common ground (as parents)..... so might be a time to bury the hatchet so to speak, If his mum has confidence in the school counselor & your son is okay with that, then I would agree to that & ask if you can be involved... hopefully that would ease hostilities not add to them

Poidah

9 November 2017
Qld
so might be a time to bury the hatchet so to speak

Thanks Atticus, your comment made me realise that she may be agreeable and support an application for a medical records to be obtained, rather than requesting without her permission.