NSW School not providing information

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Samtoyou

9 November 2016
Long story short ex and I broke up when son was 2months son lived with me & partner until 1 year ago 6 months ago relationship between Father & myself soured parenting plan was put in place, our son attends a private school & is in year 7, since the start of the year I have tried to contact the year adviser & counsellor of that school to no advantage.
I know I have rights but I'm looking for advice first. His Stepmother has had his records & reports sent to her exsisting studied portal (as he has step sister at school marriage only) is this wrong should there have been a separate portal opened for our son. I only got access as I kicked up a fuss of not getting any information what so ever.
Also my ex's wife (step mum) did all inquiries for our son eg cohesive test and wrighten reports for pedi appointment which they supplied to her in hand not sent to pedi. (I'm feeling this is wrong also) You may ask why I haven't inquired about these reports myself? I have only had contact with front office they are not very helpful. I know I have a right to his schooling and other things but Im dealing with a power trip & its hard when our son is caught in the middle. I don't want to create a sene at the school.
What can I do?

sammy01

27 September 2015
write to the school requesting access if they refuse request they explain why... Surely your kid isn't the only one at the school from a separated home?

Blessing

20 April 2017
Sydney NSW
My guess is she's on his school records as parent/guardian. I would go into the school and ask for written reason as to why you are not being given information about your child? Speak to the principal. My own experience with private schools is the admin staff always goes by what's on record, if your name is not in his record as primary parent or guardian they will only give limited information, that might be something to sort out.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'm not a family lawyer, so I may be off the mark here. My understanding from most schools is that unless you can show them some court orders which grant you some recognised level of custody, then they're not going to give you any information.