VIC Renter 1 year late in paying fees on vehicle, refusing to return it

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Renski

25 February 2023
Dear forum users,

I'm posting this question both in Customer and Criminal sub forums as I am not sure where the best place for it is. Feel free to moderate.

My company had a spare vehicle in November 2021 and someone offered to hire it from us for, agreeing in paying $1090 a month. His finances did not go well and kept us dancing until now, when his overdue has reached the sum of around $17,000. I have warned him many times, sent letters of demand to get the vehicle back that were ignored, hired 3 people to reposess the car, as I am overseas, the renter would not give his adress or comply with returning the car.

Thext step was to call the police to get some advice. They said that since he has paid $800 lately, I am not entitled to report the car as stolen.

From here I am not certain of what to do, this is our only company vehicle, I will need to use it whan I'm back to Australia.

From the advice I received from the police station, I basically have to wait an amount of days, which I'm uncertain of how many, in order for them to mobilise.

I thought that I could cancel the registration, however, this may lead to other uncertainties.

Please let me know what I am entitled to do in order to get my car back as soon as possible.

Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Where are the spare keys?

Renski

25 February 2023
I have them here with me, however I'm overseas at the moment. Also, this gentleman won't tell us where the vehicle is.