NSW Can a buyer return privately sold car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jj9711

8 August 2022
Just sold our cars 3 days ago and now the buyer is asking us to either help pay for the repairs or to accept the return. When the buyer came to inspect it in the evening, he did a brief check, test drove it and said he told us he would come back to buy it. He came back the next morning and bought the car. The car was in good working order and I even had an issue he wanted fixed, fixed.

He took the car to the mechanic 3 days later and starts messaging us that there’s a lot of things that needs to be repaired. His mechanic (also his mate) said that the water pump needs to be replaced and it’s leaking oil and the gearbox has to be repaired. He asked us to pay half of his $3500 invoice for repairs or else he wants to give the car back to us. Out of good faith and feeling bad for this guy, I offered that we can pay a little towards it but not half that amount. He now wants either half of the repair amount or for us to take the car back.

Im not sure where to start but saw from a few posts in this forum that consumer laws doesn’t protect the buyer in private sales of a vehicle. As a seller, I don’t have to do anything for this buyer, is that right? Does it look bad from a legal perspective that I offered to pay a little towards the repairs?

Thanks heaps for your help. I’m losing sleep over this.
Jason

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney