TAS Accounting/late fees

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ms L

12 February 2016
I had a computer tech come to my house to fix/look at computer. He was here for approx 2hrs and I paid him on the day. He advised we needed to upgrade our pc. After paying him he said he’d have a look on eBay when he got back to his workshop and said he’d be able to do that while he was downloading programs on other people’s PCs. He didn’t mention additional costs or time he would take to do this. I didn’t think any more of it, till I received an invoice via email for additional cost for searching $44.00. I also picked up mail from them which didn’t have enough postage paid and resulted in me paying an additional $2.50 for what was to be an invoice that I already had. I rang to query the amount of the invoice and to let them know that their mail postage was underpaid. He became very defensive. He hung up on me after calling me delusional. His partner then rang me to ask what I had said to him. She also indicated that our conversation was being recorded to which I said I didn’t think that was okay under the listening devices act in Tasmania. She became aggressive and I told her I needed to terminate our call. I then followed up with an email in the hope of seeking and clarifying the intent of my call to them.
We then received via registered mail another invoice for the $44.00 which also included an additional $14.00 accounting fee. It was accompanied by a letter stating legal and debt recovery action would be undertaken. We had not received a reminder notice for the outstanding amount prior to this letter. There is no indication on the original invoice that accounting/late fees would be charged or %interest on overdue accounts. The only indication on the invoice was that it was 7 day payment for account holders. I do not have an account with them and as far as I knew I had paid for services on the day. Can you assist with letting me know if I am required to pay the additional $14.00? I have paid $41.50 which is the $44.00 amount less the $2.50 we paid to cover the postage. Thank you

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Have a look on eBay for what exactly? Sounds like a backyard business run by someone with no IT qualifications at all to me.
Don't pay another cent and don't respond to any communication from them.

As for the computer, "you need to upgrade your PC" is the standard response for anyone trying to con you into bying a new PC when you don't actually need one.

What exactly is the problem with the computer you have?