QLD Rental Car Quote - Pay Additional Charge?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SAMIAM

1 June 2015
I asked rentalcars.com for a quote to hire a rental car with full cover, 2 drivers and pick up at one point and drop off at another. They sent a quote by email:

Your quote for car rental at Mackay Airport
Car Hire Charge: AUD267.35
Full Protection: AUD77.45
Credit Card Charge: AUD0.00
Total: AUD344.80

Booking Details
Pick Up:
Mackay Airport
Jun 3 2015 - 12:30:00
Drop Off:
Airlie Beach Downtown
Jun 8 2015 - 11:30:00

What's Included
ticks.png
Amendments
ticks.png
Theft Protection
ticks.png
Collision damage waiver

I go to book and find a $100 charge for car being dropped at another place other than pick up point. I have contacted rentalcars.com who are a broker for the car rental company (who add this charge). I believe I should be paying the quoted price only. I asked for a quote for different pick up drop off points. That is what I got and there is no mention of any surcharge.

Do I have grounds to provide the email quote to the rental car company and ask them to fulfil at quote price and not be expected to pay $100 charge? Thanks for your help.

DennisD

11 July 2014
As a first port of call, one option for you to consider is giving them a call, explaining the discrepancy, then seeing if they're responsive as you'd seem to have a reasonable point there.

If things don't go as expected, we could discuss supplier obligations to ensure prices are clear and accurate.

Ivy

10 February 2015