QLD Relocation After Redundancy - Claim Financial Assistance and Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Krysam63

7 October 2015
Hi

My husband was made redundant last week due to cost cutting and downsizing. He has worked for the company for 9 1/2 years. In February 2013, we relocated from Perth to Adelaide in a move orchestrated by the then CEO/CFO. In August 2014, the owner of the business stepped back in and the Adelaide office was closed. We then relocated to Brisbane for the company.

Now that my husband no longer has a job due to redundancy, it is in our best financial interests to move back to WA to regroup. The cost is going to be about $10 000. Do we have any chance of getting compensation and being able to get them to help financially?

S

Sophea

I don't know of any employment laws that would entitle you to any monetary assistance to relocate after redundancy. This is something you may be able to negotiate with the employer. Were you compensated for your other moves by the company?

Serge Gorval

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
Was any contract signed as part of the first move ? If so, there usually is a "relocation clause"
under FW Act. There is no right to compensation for relocation but you could very well have a contractual argument to run.