SA Relationship and Marriage - Rights to Reclaim Money Spent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
29 March 2015
Could you tell me if I was in a relationship for 3 years and married for two and the whole time I was in the relationship I was working and all my money went towards renovations on a mobile home . Do I have any family law rights?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What kind of rights? Best explain what it is you want then the lawyers/people here can give better advice to you.

29 March 2015
Oh sorry it's just that he left with everything including the car . As I was in a domestic abusive relationship everything was in his name .I wanted to know if I can claim any of the money or assets from my time in the marriage . Or just put it down to stupidity and cut my losses .

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You do have property rights. Trouble is how to enforce them without spending all your money on lawyer's fees.

S

Sophea

Hi annie,

Are you currently separated or divorced? As i understand it your husband has taken all the assets. Normally upon separation parties are requried to first try to reach an agreement as to how their property will be separated, however if you cannot agree, you can apply to the court for financial orders regarding the division of your property and assets between you and your husband and also spousal and child maintenance. It doesn't matter that everything is in his name. You will be at least entitled to some portion of it - depending on what the court believes is fair in the circumstances.

Have a read of some of the other threads on this site about property settlements.

You will likely need to get some legal representation. I would speak to legal aid or a community legal centre for further information.