NSW Ranting caught on security camera audio

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

familynfriends

15 April 2020
My verbally abusive ex showed up to my house. He knows that I have a security camera that records video and audio constantly, as I have informed him of this several times in the past. He was at my front door saying some emotionally abusive things to our seven-year-old daughter. Our daughter was with him, as it was his day to have her. He came to my place because he believes I had spoken to Centrelink to have his payments messed up. I have not done this, but none the less he thinks I have in his ranting. He said things to my daughter about me. I could see how distressed and upset she was. This type of behaviour is not appropriate in front of a seven-year-old, and I refused to engage in his ranting. I asked him to leave, and I calmly let him know I did not want to speak to him about this at any stage. That was all I said. After he left, I realised his ranting was all caught on my security cameras audio. I have kept the recording, as I was told with family law to document everything. We do have court orders, but he is increasing unstable, and my daughter is upset and not herself when she returns from her time at her father's. So, I am starting to question if he is not coping with looking after her. Can I use this audio recording in court if he knows the security camera was there and it has the audio and visual recording going? Or am I wasting my time keeping it?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
1. yes, keep it.
2. Whether or not it is useful for anything is a question for the court when/ if any further application is made.