QCAT Matter Types

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Flydoc

8 December 2021
Hi everyone!

Due to my ex=property manager's gross negligence, I lost quite a bit of rental income. The proprietor - ie. the boss - has admitted wrong and is currently seeking indemity insurance to pay me but I am going to start a QCAT to have another revenue of securing the payment if the insurance company declines to pay out. I am confused as to what "Matter Types" does this fall under?

Thank you for the advice!

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Dear Flydoc,

I am assuming you are saying there is some form of property management agency agreement, that the property manager breached the agreement in some way, and the property manager is claiming their professional indemnity insurance at the moment.

”Other financial disputes” is likely what you are looking for, for your stated purpose - under subtype “financial loss caused by … financial agents”. “Occupational regulation” is also a common one, but compensation order is not given out for this type. Depending on the size of the claim, QCAT may not have the juridiction and you may have to go to higher courts.

Good luck!

-Nighthelyn

Docupedia

7 October 2020
You might want to check your insurance. If you start any type of action on your own, the insurer may refuse the claim.

Flydoc

8 December 2021
Thank you to you both.

To Nighthely:
Yes. Basically the property was left unmanaged when the property manager left the company. I went through other financial dispute, which, strangely enough, not a QCAT lodgement but, instead, a Fair Trading one?! Anyway, the conclusion of that is the owner admitted fault and will use the indemnity insurance. Later on we had reached an agreed amount of compensation. Can I use "Debt dispute" now that the proprietor has admitted to fault and agreed on the amount for compensation?

To Docupedoia:
I don't feel comfortable using the landlord insurance as it is the fault of the property agent. Also it, at max, it only vcovers 10% of the loss.