Suspended long-term on internal traffic matter

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mrs Jones

13 August 2017
How long can I suspended on full-pay please (I am a permanent part-time employee earning around $650 per week)?

I have had a minor traffic matter (a 3-point-turn), which I did indeed do and I self-reported it to management.

Another employee, who is a constant trouble-maker, also reported it just to knife me. He's knifed a few other drivers too. That person is running around acting like a management "spy" and reporting drivers after he was promoted to "trainer" over all the rest of us, including myself. But I am a Master-degree uni graduate and far outstripped him. He was seemingly promoted on embellishing himself and lying (said he was doctor back in Russia, and a "trainer" in Australia, but I worked at the same depot as him and he was not). I've told management this.

Other drivers do exactly the same thing in the traffic, the matter is minor, and other drivers do far worse, all the time.

I'm one of the place's better drivers and have never had an accident, never had sick days, and never had compo claims. I always help the company out when it needs me, rising at 03:00 and sometimes working 14 hour days/nights.

The traffic matter was on a private road and there were no police and there is no fine. It is probably on internal camera, but I've admitted and reported it straight-up anyway.

There is no injury to anyone, and no damage to any vehicle. I was alone on the private road.

I do have priors on the same internal roads, as training has not adequately said to us whether we can do 3-point-turns, u-turns, long reverses or whatever. We just don't know. We see all types of other drivers, both internally and externally, doing the same types of manoeuvres daily. So we're a bit in limbo as to the perceived "rules". Again, these were not on external NSW roads, but internal roads.

I've been suspended now for 3 to 4 weeks, with no developments or contact. The employer did slate a meeting last week, but cancelled it on the very day about 3 hours beforehand.

I have been suspended likewise before, for 3 weeks some years ago. That simple traffic matter, again on our own internal roads with no damage and no injuries, saw me reinstated. But it does mean I have priors I surmise.

I may need an employment lawyer, and intend on immediately going to the Fair Work Commission if I am sacked. We work in heavy transport, it is full of risk and unsafe operators, and it's a bit rich to try and hold us up as perfect robotic drivers. People do make simple mistakes from time-to-time. There has never been any injuries, and there has never been any damage.

Thank you.