VIC Purchased Car on eBay - Hasn't Arrived -Stolen?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

iamachef

30 August 2014
I purchased a car on eBay and payed with a bank wire transfer and haven't received the vehicle. An email told me the car was being processed for shipping when the funds cleared. 3 days after purchase, I have tried emailing both the seller and the shipping company and no answer. Is there anything I can do about the vehicle? Do I own it according to Australian Consumer Law? If so can I report it as stolen?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is the seller in Australia or overseas? I smell a scammer here. Particularly if you used Western Union to transfer the money.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @iamachef
I agree with Rod, it sounds like a potential scam. Are you able to provide further information about the seller?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @iamachef
  1. How long ago did you purchase the car?
  2. Did the seller have a good feedback/rating on eBay for selling cars (in contrast to building up a reputation by selling cheap trinkets and then selling a car)?
  3. Instead of email, have you attempted to call (or using Skype) the seller and/or the shipping company?
  4. What were the shipping terms/Incoterms for the purchase?

iamachef

30 August 2014
Hi @iamachef
I agree with Rod, it sounds like a potential scam. Are you able to provide further information about the seller?
He said he worked in Australia and got a transfer to England and that the car was in storage in Sydney all of the addresses checked out storage facility is located where he said

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @iamachef
Are you in Australia? I assume not if the car is being shipped to you?

iamachef

30 August 2014
Hi @iamachef
  1. How long ago did you purchase the car?
  2. Did the seller have a good feedback/rating on eBay for selling cars (in contrast to building up a reputation by selling cheap trinkets and then selling a car)?
  3. Instead of email, have you attempted to call (or using Skype) the seller and/or the shipping company?
  4. What were the shipping terms/Incoterms for the purchase?
August 8th , no feedback first sale, have tried to call shipping company elite transport ltd , shipper pays delivery and delivery starts as soon as payment went into account