Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Purchased Car on eBay - Hasn't Arrived -Stolen?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by iamachef, 31 August 2014.

1. iamachef

iamachef Active Member

I purchased a car on eBay and payed with a bank wire transfer and haven't received the vehicle. An email told me the car was being processed for shipping when the funds cleared. 3 days after purchase, I have tried emailing both the seller and the shipping company and no answer. Is there anything I can do about the vehicle? Do I own it according to Australian Consumer Law? If so can I report it as stolen?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Is the seller in Australia or overseas? I smell a scammer here. Particularly if you used Western Union to transfer the money.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @iamachef
    I agree with Rod, it sounds like a potential scam. Are you able to provide further information about the seller?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. iamachef

iamachef Active Member

The seller was in England , the car is real though

5. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @iamachef
    1. How long ago did you purchase the car?
    2. Did the seller have a good feedback/rating on eBay for selling cars (in contrast to building up a reputation by selling cheap trinkets and then selling a car)?
    3. Instead of email, have you attempted to call (or using Skype) the seller and/or the shipping company?
    4. What were the shipping terms/Incoterms for the purchase?

6. iamachef

iamachef Active Member

He said he worked in Australia and got a transfer to England and that the car was in storage in Sydney all of the addresses checked out storage facility is located where he said

7. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @iamachef
    Are you in Australia? I assume not if the car is being shipped to you?

8. iamachef

iamachef Active Member

August 8th , no feedback first sale, have tried to call shipping company elite transport ltd , shipper pays delivery and delivery starts as soon as payment went into account

9. iamachef

iamachef Active Member

The car is registered in Victoria and every detail he wrote in description was correct