WA Property Settlement Delays - Can't Pay Family Lawyer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
22 May 2015
I'm worried about my situation as my family lawyer agreed to take her fees out of my property settlement and my ex is refusing to agree to settle on anything. We have already had mediation.

My lawyer's bill is about $30k and as nothing is happening with settlement, resolving so can anyone please suggest to me what to do next? I'm desperate for help.

S

Sophea

What does your agreement with your lawyer say? Does it specifically state that fees would come out of the settlement? If so, I believe your lawyer bears the risk. I wouldn't worry unduly about it. Your lawyer has agreed to this, knowing that there is potential for these types of things to go pear shaped, and you did employ your lawyer to settle the situation for you, so its also her responsibility to get it settled soon so she can get paid.

22 May 2015
At the first meeting with my lawyer she had me sign a irrevocable authority. She has written and verbally in several emails her fees are to be paid out at settlement. So i left it up to her to sort it out but my ex husband is deliberately being difficult by not agreeing to anything and not settling. My ex husband sold our matrimonial home and took the money from it using it for his own needs. I just desperately want to resolve this and have it over asap. Please anyone that could help me in any way i would be very grateful. [Moderator redacted - Community Guidelines]

Last edited by a moderator: