WA Property Seizure Notice Received - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 September 2014
Hello, I am a contractor who agreed to pay back a client the sum of $1500 per month for a total of $12000 debt I have. Over a period of 6 months, I've paid back $4500 but payments are not always by the due date we agreed on. However I have tried to pay as much as I can but due to work being very slow at the moment I'm struggling to make any payment for the last 6 weeks. Now I've received a seizure notice from the courts for my vehicle, my work car or my wife's car. What can I do?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Dale,

The original agreement, was that by court order? What kind of agreement is that?

Did you explain to the client your financial situation and negotiate a new payment arrangement?

Did the client issue you with a notice for payment or overdue payment for the last 6 weeks' payments?

Further, is your wife's car jointly owned? Under whose name is the car registered?

7 September 2014
Hi Dale,

The original agreement, was that by court order? What kind of agreement is that?

Did you explain to the client your financial situation and negotiate a new payment arrangement?

Did the client issue you with a notice for payment or overdue payment for the last 6 weeks' payments?

Further, is your wife's car jointly owned? Under whose name is the car registered?

7 September 2014
Hello Sarah yes it is a court order both vehicles are in my name he has warned me befo re if I'm late again
With payment he won't hesitate to pursue court action in the remediation meeting at the builders reg I stated that I would struggle to pay $1500 a month on top of my $2500 mortgage payments my income for last year was only $32000 but he refused any less than$1500p/month I said I would try my best