VIC Property Law on Retrieving Property from Father's Place?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jor3122

17 January 2017
Hi,

Not sure how this forum works, I wasn't sure what kind of law this fell under so I just posted here.

Two years and three months ago, I was basically kicked out of my father's place in Echuca, Victoria. Before this incident, which included two AVO's and several court dates, I had lived with him since ~ early March of 2010. In this time, I'd taken up guitar as a hobby and acrued three electric guitars (totaling in an est. value of $800-900), two bass guitars (est. val. $500), several cases (est. val. $150), one tube 1x15 60W guitar amplifier (est. val. $600), several guitar pedals (est. val. $300), and several spare parts to guitars (est. val. $200).

On top of this, he has several of my items of clothing, books, DVDs, CDs, personal items like wallets and sunglasses, jewellery, sentimental items like birthday cards from dead grandparents and old concert tickets. Largely nothing incredibly valuable but still things I'd like to have.

Since I moved to Melbourne to stay with my mother, I'd contacted him perhaps four or five times, asked for him to either allow me and a family member to come and collect my property from Echuca, or for him to bring to Melbourne, either directly to me or to one of his parents houses for me to collect while he didn't have to see anyone he knew.

I've contacted him over email and through text and phone calls. He had not answered at any of those times, but I'd let it be, largely because the accommodation I was living in with my mother was cramped (I didn't have my own room, I slept on a mattress behind the couch type situation).

However now, I've moved into my own room in my sharehouse, I've continued with this passion since I started playing in 2010, I've moved onto recording and I need equipment to perform and record with.

My question to the law community is, what can I do, under property law, police wise, court wise, anything wise to get into contact with him, to find out if my property has been destroyed/thrown away or just stored, and how to either get it into my possession again or receive compensation for it.

TL;DR: Dad still has my things (total est value $2,800), how do I get the things back or get the monetary value of the things?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If I was you, I'd first surreptitiously ask someone who I know visits my father to find out if the items are still there.

If they are, I'd either:
  • next ring the Echuca police to see if they would accompany me when I went to my father's place to collect the items. I'd go with a pre-prepared list. I'd take what ever receipts I could as proof of purchase. I'd arrange to visit with police at a time I know someone else is going to be there to ensure my father would be home or
  • see if another family member/friend could pick up the items preferably with me present or
  • Else sue in court for the items or their cost. This is the expensive legal option.

Reactions: Jor3122