QLD Property Law - Retrieving Belongings Back from Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Troubled1985

22 February 2017
Hi,

I left my ex over 3 years ago - he was abusive and I left all my belongings (besides my dog and my clothes) with him. Can I get my belongings back under property law? Or can I sue him for the monetary worth of things? Or is it too late to do this?

I didn't want to get things back at first as I was scared. We lived in QLD and it would have meant going back up there to get it. I was under the assumption that the AVO that I got on him didn't extend to QLD as it was issued in NSW.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Generally, you have up to two years from the end of the relationship to make an application for a property settlement, so that's not going to help you. Any other legal options are likely to be difficult - the cost, time, difficulty in proving what's yours, and convincing a judge why you waited 3 years before making the request, could all weigh against you.

Have you been in contact with him about the property? He may not have it anymore, or may dispute it belongs to you. Taking the matter to court might not be worth it given the expense and time.

Troubled1985

22 February 2017
Thanks for answering my question - thought that might be the case - just wanted to ask. Think I will just have to let it all go.