Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Process for Filing a Police Report - Childrens Court?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by tayxxax, 26 September 2015.

  1. tayxxax

    tayxxax Member

    26 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    Last year I was the victim of sexual assault. I know it's been awhile but I finally told my mum what happened and she said if I wanted to, I could file a police report. I've always had this thought in the back of my mind but I don't know what to expect and because we were are both minors. I believe it would then be treated as a Juvenile case being held at the Children's court.

    Can anyone give me any information on what process I would have to go through?

  2. Ponala

    Ponala Well-Known Member

    10 February 2015
    Likes Received:
    You would need to report it to the Police. I imagine their SOCIT unit (sexual offences and child investigation team) would take a statement from you and then interview the alleged offender. A brief would then be put in and reviewed and charges laid if evidence is there. Once it hits the courts, really depends on what the offender does, if pleades guilty you would never need to go to court, if pleads not guilty then you would need to give evidence at court.

Share This Page