NSW Private Child Support Agreement with Ex

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stepho000

26 November 2015
Hi there.

My partner has a private child support agreement with his ex-partner, and we have typed up a quick contract to make sure that it's all paid correctly, and that she can't change her mind every 5 minutes like she constantly does... Here is a copy of what I've typed. Obviously the names and addresses are removed but let me know if there is something I should add to make it more 'legal'.

We're in Victoria too :)

November 26th, 2015

I, NAME of ADDRESS, and I, NAME of ADDRESS agrees to the following terms as stated below.

NAME is to pay NAME a total of $150.00 per week, which covers the cost of child support for CHILD ONE AND CHILD TWO. The amount is not income tested and will remain the same unless another agreement is made between both parties where both are satisfied.

This is a private agreement between NAME AND NAME

DAD (NAME) has custody of CHILD ONE AND TWO on every Friday after 7:00 am until Sunday no later than 9 pm unless otherwise stated.

Signed;

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok, not a bad first attempt, but can you give more details? Have you run an estimate through the child support agency calculator? No private agreement will hold water if it means that the paying parent is paying less than they're assessed to pay by CSA.

I'd change 'after 7am' as it is vague. You want a specified time, but also that is different to a private agreement, that part is actually a parenting plan. But if she signs it, then good and well.

What about holidays, Christmas, birtdays? Look I reckon a private agreement about money is one thing, but a parenting plan that doesn't outline some very specific info like who is responsible to pick up / drop off kids, etc., is problematic.