QLD Does Inaction Void Child Support Agreement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Keren

7 November 2016
My ex-husband and I have been separated for 2 1/2 years. When we split, I was in a bad frame of mind and he made me sign a binding child support agreement which stated that he didn't have to pay child support as long as he transferred the house out of both names in to just his and gave me the car.

Well, he gave me the car but it has been over 2 years and he still hasn't transferred the house out of my name and I was wondering if that voids the agreement and if he should now be paying child support.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'd call child support - 131 272. I don't think it is lawful to have any agreement that mitigates child support not unless it provides for the amount that is paid to the primary carer is greater than would otherwise be assessed by CSA and unless it was a really expensive car. I don't think it would cut it.

I'd just call child support and ask them to collect the child support for you.

Keren

7 November 2016
But having signed those agreements, I just don't know what I can do. I didn't want to have to go fork out for a lawyer they are so expensive.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope - it really is very simple. Call CSA and ask for them to collect child support. They will look into it and either collect it on your behalf according to their rules or they won't

Now I'm willing to bet they will.