WA Preparing for Juris Doctor - Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Australian Law Students Forum' started by Moreton, 26 December 2018.

1. Moreton

Moreton Member

Hi,

I am an undergraduate going into the second year of Philosophy/Law and Society double major. After this I will complete the Juris Doctor and am wondering if anyone can offer me some tips. Are there any things/texts you think would be valuable to start looking at/into now in the lead up to the Juris Doctor that will make me better prepared? Also, what are the work experience opportunities available to undergrads? Are they worthwhile?

Any help is welcome... The things you think s**t, I wish I looked into this earlier.

Thanks.

2. Reag

Reag Well-Known Member

Enjoy your time off while you can, as you are going to need to recharge.

3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

I'll give you one tip.
    Don't get too excited about the "Doctor" bit.
    Have a read of this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Reag

Reag Well-Known Member

In all honesty, this should also apply to General Practitioners. There's nothing a GP can do that a nurse can't, outside a clinic.

Surgeons, on the other hand, may be an exception. The problem with surgery however, is that every wannabe straight A student wants to get in. This despite having zero interest in the field, apart from money and status. You just have to look at the work of all prominent Hollywood plastic surgeons to see what I mean. Same applies to law.

#4 Reag, 8 February 2019
    Last edited: 8 February 2019
  5. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

I can think of a number of nurses and doctors both, who would not agree with you.
    I also know a number of academic nurses with PhDs, for whom
    not being mistaken for MB BS holders, matters.

Speaking as a "GP" lawyer, who numbers several public figures among his clients, it really doesn't.
    Some of my clients are savvy business people who know exactly what they're doing.
    And others are not at all business minded, and can be (in many cases, have been)
    taken advantage of. Both have different needs.

As to being Hollywood... Only once have I ever been called a "Celebrity Lawyer".
    And it was not by somebody whose opinion carried much weight.

The reason a JD is not PhD equivalent, and does not accrue the title "Doctor",
    is because of a JD does not sit at the same level as a PhD in the Australian Qualifications Framework.

Ya know, I'm really starting to wonder if you're not just a troll, and I'm not noticing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Reag

Reag Well-Known Member

All GP's do are write prescriptions. Outside their practice, in the street for example, their medical knowledge is similar to that of nurses, rendering first aid, etc.

What does business have to do with having a passion for medicine vs studying medicine for the money and status?

I'm not following... celebrity surgeons do a terrible job because they have no skill or passion for surgery. That's what my post is about.

I'm talking about ordinary GP's who title themselves a "Doctor" when they don't have a Doctorate.

Trolling in what way? I don't troll, got better things to do with my time.

7. Reag

Reag Well-Known Member

I'm not saying straight-A students are dumb. Far from it. What I'm saying is that most straight-A students use their marks to get into top tier courses (Law, Medicine, etc) when they have no passion or skill for that field, i.e. they do it for the prestige and money and don't care about anything else.

8. Reag

Reag Well-Known Member

Although in saying that, Law as a degree wouldn't be as prestigious as it is now, if it weren't for such students.