WA Not being scheduled after being sick (with doctors note) and being removed from scheduling app?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Reign

11 April 2018
I work at a cafe at a hospital.
Before working here, I began participating in a clinical trial in which I test an anti-malarial drug. This clinical trial occurs at the same hospital I work at.
I began feeling sick (extreme vertigo, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, etc.) and immediately let my managers know, "I am going to work today but I just want to let you know that I'm starting to feel sick, just in case it gets worse as the days go on."
They thanked me for letting them know and I finished my shift that day. This was a thursday. As the day went on I felt really sick and told them I may not be able to work the next day (Friday) and they said that was completely fine and to focus on getting better.
I wasn't scheduled for Saturday or Sunday so I had the weekend to recover. By Monday I was still feeling sick, but I had work so I went in. I went in only to find out they took me off the roster without notifying me. They said they assumed I would still be sick.
This was very frustrating because they could've communicated with me and we could have decided whether I should or should not come in to work, but instead they gave my shift away and didn't even notify me. Worst part was, I was still shown that I was working that day
on our scheduling app. So I just went home and rested. I wasn't rostered on again until Thursday and Friday of that week, in which we decided on Monday that I should just rest that week.
By the end of the week I told them I was feeling better and to please schedule me for the following week. The schedules came out, and I wasn't scheduled. While frustrating, I thought that maybe they made the schedule already or something..fair.
I emailed them and said "please don't forget that I am able to come back into work, and to schedule me for this upcoming week." I received no reply to that email, in which I sent 8 days ago from today. Today I looked, and I am not scheduled for work NEXT week either.
Ive emailed and texted my managers multiple times to no avail. They aren't replying, and I have no idea why I'm not scheduled. Not only that, but when I log on to the scheduling app it says "there are no businesses tied to your account" which means I was removed from their scheduling system.
I provided a doctors not AND a note from the emergency department for the days that I wasn't at work, and my work was not only very understanding but also encouraged me to get rest. But now that im better, its been two weeks straight that I havent been scheduled.
Im unaware what my role is (casual, part-time) because I wasn't told and since it is a newly opened facility they didnt seem to know much about things like the pay, roles, etc. But, all the people who got hired with me and have the same role as me are all getting solid 40 hour work weeks consistently.
Am I being punished, or am I indirectly being let go? (Hence the removal from the scheduling app)
I have texted and emailed multiple times, with no response. Are they in the wrong for this, and if so, what can I do? I am a 21-year old who lives in this country alone as all my family is from America and England. I am struggling with rent and bills because of not being scheduled for weeks.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What type of employment did have - permanent part-time or casual?
How long had you been working there?
How often did you work?